Monday, August 31, 2015

So. FAST!

Everything's going so quickly here!  I barely have time to stop and breathe!  Now I really know why librarians never eat lunch: NO TIME!!!

But.  As hectic as they've been, these have been the four best weeks of my professional life ever.  I go home happy every night: I get to talk with students about books, help them find research tools, help teachers learn how to use Google Classroom and Chrome Books, and work with administrators that support me.  I know it might not always be this good, but man oh man, I'm takin' it while I can get it now! 

Here's a super quick rundown of the haps in the MSJH Library the first few weeks of school:

WEEK 1 started with LOTS of non-fiction shifting.  LOTS OF IT.  That's ok, cause I found out that the collection has the very first non-fiction book I ever owned:



And, I found out there's gonna be lots and lots and TONS of weeding going on this year.

 Um..."up to date" books on America's hottest, most popular teen idols???

I also found out that some people don't know how to take care of their books. 



 Just COPY THE PAGES, people!  Don't let the sticky notes get caught in there!

WEEK 2 began with some staff training and meet and greets.  I'm super nervous about being evaluated, since that hasn't happened in over three years, and they're using a evaluation tool.  How does a librarian show student growth for 600+ students?  I don't know, either.  We'll find out TOGETHER!

During WEEK 3 I found out that students really, truly check out books here!  Our (already weeded down) fiction collection is now looking a lot less than healthy, and since I forgot to take a picture of my first display.  I thought I'd have lots of time (since books were hardly every checked out last year) to take a photo, but I only got this one, which has lots of holes in it.  Oh, well!

 It was COMPLETELY FULL...I swear!  I should've written all the titles down, like I did last year at Uni, but as a lonely librarian with no aid, there's not time for stuff like that.

This WEEK 4 has started off well, too.  I've already completed another display (more on that later), and I found out I get to have the privilege of getting a Chrome Cart up and running by testing on Wednesday.  That means...I BETTER JET!  (Like I said, things are moving so quickly!)

One side note...Remember how I said I've gone home happy every night?  I felt a lot of guilt about that last week.  I don't feel like I should be so happy when I go home.  Almost like, if I'm not struggling then how can I be making a difference?  Well, I got so guilt-ridden last week that I started to cry on my husband's shoulder.  (OK, OK, you got me: it was UGLY crying.)  He said if I'm happy every night when I come home I can be a better mother AND better educator.  He's right (AGAIN), but I do feel like I should have to suffer for my art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment