Tuesday, April 7, 2015

To Tell or Not to Tell

Ever wonder how librarians spend their Saturday nights?  Well, I'll tell you one thing we sometimes do: particpate in or attend storytelling festivals! 

It's one thing to tell a story around a table to a group of friends or family members.  It is quite another thing to tell a story to a group of strangers.  I got to do the latter this past weekend, as I was asked to participate in the annual Storytelling Festival put on by the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library & Information Science.

 The amazing chalk art mural students from Uni completed for the Storytelling Festival!


It was quite an honor to be a part of the storytellers on Saturday, April 4, 2015.   I feel like the others did a much better job than me: they were steady, professional, extremely well practiced.  I got up there to just have a little fun and tell a personal story about an NSYNC concert I dragged my husband to (my boyfriend at the time).

 The portion of the mural dedicated to my story.  A pretty good chalk rendition of Justin Timberlake with his head set if I do say so myself!

I believe you are never too old to hear a story, and I believe storytelling should be present in every library--public and school.  Not storyTIME...storyTELLING.  We have a master storyteller at the Champaign Public Library, and she is calm, centered, focused, and intense (in the best way) when telling her stories.  Her tongue never trips (as mine often does), and she is as steady as a river when unfolding her tales to the audience.  She is a magnificent site to behold when telling. 

Telling stories might seem like an easy task, but it can actually be quite daunting.  Here is my super fast list of things to think about when setting out to tell a story: 

  • You have to consider your audience.  Will they be of a serious nature?  Will they be ready for a good time and some laughs?   Are they an unknown entity that is causing you to stress out even more?
  • Then you need to pick a story to tell.  Maybe a folk tale or fairy tale...maybe a personal story...maybe a story you've adapted from a favorite book, TV show, or movie.  
  • You'll also need to think about your tone.  Do you want to be lighthearted and whimsical or serious and dramatic? 
  • Let's not forget about practicing/rehearsing.  What if your schedule is jam-packed with activities, but you still want to tell a story?  When will you find time to rehearse?
  • What if, after all of this thought and consideration, you did not choose wisely, and your effort falls flat on its face during the performance!?!  Wait, don't think about this.  It won't happen!  You'll be great!
  • Above all, you should be telling a story because you enjoy it!  The audience should be able to see or feel how much you want to tell a story.  They should be excited as they listen to you unfold your tale of woe or happiness or magic or mystery.

I have found over the past year or so of practicing my storytelling technique that I have a definite style: it's one of laid back comfort.  I want to put you at ease and tell you a story that will usually make you laugh or chuckle...or at least smile a bit.  There are so many dark, serious things going on in the world that I take storytelling opportunities to lighten the mood and transport you to a good time, a fun event, or a warm, inviting place that will let you forget your cares for a moment or two.  As I said earlier, it was an honor to tell a story at this annual festival, and I can only hope to have the opportunity to do so again.



No comments:

Post a Comment