Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Holiday Wishes

Even though this is a library blog, I can still talk about some holiday wishes.  Actually, I should make that holiday WISH. 

My holiday wish is to have time to read.

I know that sounds silly.  I'm a graduate assistant in a LIBRARY.  I am getting my master's in LIBRARY science.  I talk about, write about, think about books all day.  But, I don't really get a chance to read them that much.  I am busy at work, in class, taking care of three awesome babies, and writing papers.  When I'm not doing those things, I would really like to spend time with my wonderful husband.  Finding the time to read shouldn't be a struggle, but it is.  

I have a stack of books next to my bed that is almost impenetrable.  It's also close to toppling over.  Everyday I work here I find more books I want to read.  Every time I go on Good Reads I find more wonderful books recommended by my friends, and then I get sucked into their Listopia section, and I'm just toast.

I've never really thought about my own mortality until recently.  As the list of books I want to read gets longer and longer AND longer, I'm more aware of my lack of time on this plain.  I'll never get to read all of the books I want to read.  That is probably the most singularly depressing thought I've ever had.  I don't like that fact.  In fact, I HATE that fact.

Oh, my.  This was supposed to be upbeat, right?  I mean, I'm supposed to be writing about my holiday wish.  Let me see if I can turn this around.

OK...My holiday wish, or GOAL, is to read three books of my own choosing with absolute joy and abandon.  I will choose whatever I want: horror, graphic novels, contemporary literature, young adult...the sky's the limit.  Knowing me, my choices will probably come from this Good Reads list, "Food on the Cover."  I am so into books that center around food these days!  I don't know...it's a recent obsession.  Memoir, YA, picture books, adult fiction...if it has to do with food, I'M IN.

These books have a really good chance of making my holiday read list:





I hope to report back in January and tell you that I've accomplished my goal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment