Friday, February 20, 2015

Oscars Fun in the Library

Oscars time is upon us, and that means lots of opportunities for fun in the library!  And, if you know me, just a liiiiitle bit, you'll know that I can't let the Oscars go by without a little glitz and glitter.  We already have two book displays going inside of the library, but I managed to put up a new bulletin board and get a fun little Oscars ballot going (to encourage students to become as obsessed with the Oscars as I am?).

Our bulletin board focuses on books being made into movies over the next year.  The idea is to encourage students to read the books before they can see the books.  There were several different books-to-movies lists* I found while looking around on Pinterest, and believe it or not several popped up in my Facebook feed a couple of weeks ago.  (It's like they know me or something.)  I looked through two different lists, and I found as many titles as I could that we hold in our collection.  I didn't have any Oscars decorations to go on the board, but I think the red carpet background and the glittery gold border make the bulletin board POP.



Inside the library we have a contest going to see who can guess the Best Adapted Screenplay winner.



I sent out an email encouraging students and staff to come participate.  All they have to do is fill out a ballot, circle who they think will win Best Adapted Screenplay, and on Monday, AFTER the Oscars, we will pick one winner from those who guessed correctly.  There will be one staff and one student winner.  The prize will be chocolate wrapped in gold...of course. 



One student wanted to know why we were doing Best Adapted Screenplay, instead of Best Film.  I told him it's because we're a library...we have books...screenplays are usually adapted from BOOKS**.  It took him a second, but he got it eventually.  My money's on Whiplash this year, but I can't enter.  It would be just too sketchy if I won.

These are just two simple, easy ways to encourage movie watching and book reading in your library.  I know I have a lot more in mind for next year.  If you ever want to peruse some ideas, Pinterest has many, MANY different displays and boards for you to consider.  Have fun watching the Oscars this Sunday, February 22!  



*100 Books to Read Before They're Movies and  Books Becoming Movies in 2015.
**Except for the nominee Whiplash, by Damien Chazelle.  Chazelle based his full-length screenplay on his original short film screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment