Monday, February 2, 2015

Treasures from the Uni High Library

Well, you just never know what you're going to find in the Uni High library.  So far this year I've found some treasures: a vintage copy of S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, cool old covers of class literature by Hemingway and Fitzgerald, and the awesome Uni in-house archives are just a few of the cool things I've found.  A few weeks ago, I found two other treasures. 

The first one was this:


I think what I like best about this find is the fact that it was a face out.  Magic Johnson's seminal account about AIDS avoidance, acquired in 1993 and last checked out from the Uni library in 1996 (see below) is a FACE OUT.  I don't know who made this a face out; probably a student who thought it would be funny.  I don't mind a time machine book, so I haven't changed its face out status since I found it.  If any student checks it out, I WILL take their picture holding the tome, and I WILL ask if I can post the photo. (I would also want to know why/how they plan on using the text.)


Acquisition date in red; mail-away form to order the audioCASSETTE

The last due date for this seminal text?  November 25, 1996--I was a junior in high school at the time.

I probably should read this book to find out exactly how I can avoid AIDS.  I would love to read the 1993 ways in which I can avoid it. 

Another find is this miraculous art tome:


I'll make a confession: on Saturday and Sunday afternoons I used to tune in to PBS programming toward the end of the half hour (like 1:25 or 1:55) to see if they'd squish in a Sister Wendy art informational before the next program started.  My dad got me hip to her.  I'm still sad she isn't on PBS anymore (just like I still grieve the lack of Bob Ross).  But, when would these students have ever heard of or seen her?  I mean, I'm glad the book hasn't been weeded, but I don't know how much authority it would hold with the student population of Uni.  I actually made this a face out when a student came in asking me for an art book with brief blurbs about different types of art.  I didn't get her to check this one out, but I encouraged her to search for Sister Wendy shorts on YouTube.  Here's a link to one Sister Wendy program.

Those are the treasures for now.  I hope I can find some more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment