Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Ask the Dragon: Question 1



QUESTION 

Dear Dragon,
Not to be greedy, but I want to ask you TWO questions.  First of all, why are your wings made of umbrellas?  Next, what are Rocky Mountain Oysters?  Recently my cousin made a trip to Colorado and told me he ate those for dinner one night.  Last time I checked, there wasn’t an ocean in Colorado, so how did he get oysters??  Help me clear up both these questions, Dragon.
Sincerely yours,
Landlocked in the Land of Lincoln



DRAGON’S RESPONSE

Dear Landlocked,
To begin with, let me address your umbrella question.  I do admit I felt a bit self-conscious to have you point out my physical appearance: I have feelings and insecurities, too, y’know?  But then I got over it and realized you are just curious.  I mean, how many dragons do you actually know?  The answer is simple: I am the defender of this great den of knowledge, and I must protect the books and patrons…even from things as seemingly non-threatening as liquids.  From my perch on high, I’ve noticed a lot of students bringing in coffee and soda, so I must be prepared to protect the books from these liquid refreshments (that should really only be enjoyed in our raucous hallways).  And, heaven forbid the ceiling ever springs a leak!  If rain starts to break through the attic, the third floor, and then to us, my wings will keep you all safe and dry.  
As for your question about Rocky Mountain Oysters…You’re right: there are no oceans in Colorado.  Good one for knowing your U.S. geography.  What your cousin got to do was dine on one of the finest delicacies of the great western frontier: bull’s testicles.  Yup, that’s right:  Bull’s.  Testicles.  There are festivals all over the west where you can eat bull’s testicles, AKA Rocky Mountain Oysters, AKA Calf Fries, AKA Prairie Oysters.  In the U.S., you can often find them fried and served with a dipping sauce (if you’re ever invited to a “fry,” just know what you’re getting into), and in Canada you can usually find them pan-sautéed and served with a demi-glace (a kind of rich gravy-like sauce).  Your cousin must be pretty adventurous to have tried this American “delicacy” that was born out of 19th-century necessity to use every part of a bull or cow.  If you want to find out even more about Rocky Mountain Oysters, just throw that term in the ole Google search: you can find lots of tantalizing (?) images that will make your mouth water???  Have a ball by checking out the NY Times article link I put below in the reference section: there is an awesome image gallery of the creative ways people in Missoula, Montana, came up with to cook and enjoy this savory treat of bull’s testicles.




References
Brown, B. L. (2009, March 17). Delicacy of the Wild West Lives on for Those So Bold. Retrieved January 28, 2015, from http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/us/18oyster.html?_r=2&
Luchetti, Cathy. (1993) Home on the range: a culinary history of the American West New York : Villard Books.
McPhee, J. (2007). MY LIFE LIST. New Yorker, 83(26), 82.
Mountain Oysters Hit the Spot. (2007). Wild West, 20(3), 11.



Raw bull's testicles ready for sale


Fried Rocky Mountain Oysters

Rocky Mountain Oyster Sushi



One taste tester's reaction to his first bite of Rocky Mountain Oysters

No comments:

Post a Comment