Thursday, May 14, 2015

Weeding Reference

During the past two years I have been taught that I need to teach students how to do effective online research.  I need to teach them how to distinguish between a reliable website and an unreliable one.  I've been taught that Google is the devil and a Database is your best friend.

But, never once have I been told to teach students that using reference BOOKS is still a reliable, useful skill.

Amy and I started weeding the reference section in the library yesterday, and it pains us both.  There are so many worthy, useful, RELIABLE books in Uni's reference section.  For a high school, this reference section is quite wealthy and rich.  I've been looking through old reference books, trying to figure out if they should stay or go, and I lean toward the stay option almost every time.  However, we can't keep all of them...or even half of them.  After weeding a book, I have to cross-check the ONLINE reference books/resources the University of Illinois is subscribed to, for if we can get it online, we should get rid of the book version.

What we've weeded so far.  I'm sure there will be at least two-three full carts before we're done.

I was talking with one student today, who asked what I was doing.  After a bit of intro as to what I was doing, I told him, "When you think about it, it's actually faster to go to one of these books."

"Yeah, maybe, " he said, "but I would have to come here, open the book, look up the information...With my phone everything is at my fingertips."

I countered with, "You're right.  You do have information at your fingertips.  But, if you need some quick info on just one person or topic, you can look them up in the correct book that we find for you, and go right there.  It takes just as much time to scan through articles making sure if you have reliable info or just some fan page."

He thought my point was valid, but I know what he'll do the next time he has a research paper.

Use the UIUC Online Reference Collection, scroll through databases, trying to find the right one, 
then searching for your topic
VS.
Opening up one or two books, finding the correct person/term, and reading a brief summary of that topic

As librarians, we spend so much time teaching students how important it is to have reliable sources.  Reference books might be THE most reliable source.  You know they've been researched, documented, and cross-checked...they can't be published WITHOUT these things happening.  I know the world is going digital, but sometimes it's still worth your time to take a few minutes to slow down, walk to the library, and open up a book.  The research you need is waiting right here.



Uni's rich reference section takes over almost the entire north wall of the library's front room.

I know I won't change students' minds to solely rely on books.  However, I want them to know that to be a well-rounded, educated, thoughtful student researcher, they need to look at online resources AND books.  Print is still not dead, and I want to teach my future students that.

No comments:

Post a Comment