Monday, September 8, 2014

M is for "Mentors"

These are the people I work with at the Uni High Library.



They are pretty awesome, to say the least.  With them I never know when a conversation distinguishing Bryan Adams between Richard Marx will pop up, I'll get to pour over Uni archival materials with them (like a 1968 Uni High Cookbook), or when I will be encouraged to tell the story about that time when I got pulled over in Memphis by a cop who thought I was high (and then tell that story to the students during story time).

Amy is giving me freedom to explore display space and bulletin board ideas.  She's always willing to listen to my rambling display and bulletin board ideas.  She lets me self-direct my work, and she also has set plans for me when I come in on a Monday after only four hours of sleep and no coffee and can't for the life of me think of what I should do with my time.

Paul has the daunting task of teaching me how to competently use the circulation desk hub: charging/discharging books, completing call slip requests, finding tech items for students, and all the time being patient with my constant queries.

I have had a couple of colleagues tell me that the Uni High Library isn't a "real life" school library.  I acknowledge that: the students at Uni are extremely driven, independent, and put their education above pretty much anything else (which is how they got accepted and how they maintain their placement there).  Even though it might not be the most realistic training ground, I still have wonderful mentors leading me through my time there and making it a joy to come to work everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment