Sunday, September 7, 2014

Suggestions Board & Tracking Books

TWO topics for the price of ONE post!  It's your LUCKY library day!

Suggestions Board:

My supervisor wants to make sure that the students have a voice in the library, and I couldn't agree with her more.  We want to know what books they would like us to purchase for THEIR library.  There is a small bulletin board inside the library, just to the left of our entryway.  Students can see it on their out of the library.  I tried to use bold colors (again), bold print, and inviting, eye-catching borders and clip art to make the board come to their attention.



My supervisor, Amy, started this board last year, and I've only added colors to make it stand out.  I have brainstormed a different theme for each month of the year, and I will change the Suggestions Board at the beginning of every month.  (I'm super excited about this!  Oh, and don't fret: I will post pictures of them, too.)  This board was all Amy's idea...and one that I will take with me to my library.

NOTE:  Amy suggested that there should be a pencil, and it most definitely should be attached to the board.  Oh, these high schoolers and always needing to steal writing tools.

Keeping Track of Display Books:

We have no way to mark or designate which books are on displays in our catalog.  Our catalog is connected to the entire catalog of the University of Illinois (which makes Uni High's library THE largest in the country, thank you very much).  But, for the student workers, there has to be some way to know what books go where.   What could I do?  How could I communicate with them?

It's simplistic.  It's old school.  It's...a list.



I've created a list of each display and what book is on them, and I've taped the lists onto the circulation desk..  If a book comes in to shelve, and I'm not here, the student workers (we are blessed with TWO), can look at that list and know where to put the books.  I will also keep a tally of which books are checked out.  (That will just be noted next to the title.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment