Friday, September 19, 2014

The Lost Art of Typing

We have typewriters here.

We.  Have.  Typewriters.  HERE!



I think it should be a requirement for all students to take keyboarding.  I also think they should have to take it on a typewriter, because gosh darnit, TYPEWRITERS RULE.  I wish I had one at home.  One student came in today to use one/mess around with one.  He said his mom wrote her thesis on a PC, but his dad wrote his thesis on a typewriter. 

I used to love watching my mom and dad type.  My mom was a no-sight kinda gal.  My dad was a hunter and pecker.  It didn't matter, because I could watch them for hours.  I loved listening to the clackety-clack.  My dad used to school me on how to line up the margins, when to press ENTER, how to thread the tape, and the other fine minutia of the lost art of typewriting.  My mom, well, I just used to hand her my papers to type, because she could type super fast (and edit along the way).

There's something so calming, surreal, therapeutic, and peaceful about a typewriter...even though they're loud.  They represent great writing and great writers.  Can you imagine Papa Hemingway behind a PC!?!  No, I didn't think so.



My new goal: find a typewriter--bring it home--USE IT.   (I guess that's THREE goals, but whatever, you get my point.)  I want my kids to know what a typewriter is.  I want their fingers to be able to glide across the keys, and I want their ears to HEAR their progress, as well as their eyes SEEING it.  I want this to be. 

So, this post, although not entirely focused on Library Land, gets back to the point that libraries should buck the trend of only attaining the latest technologies and help up keep and preserve the greatest technologies, too.  We want to give credit to old and new technologies alike, uphold them, savor them, and appreciate them BOTH--old and new--for what they have to offer.  That's what I want MY Library Land to do anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment