Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Art of the Lib Guide

Oh, library guides (or lib guides for short)...I'll never forget my first time.

For those of you not in the know, a lib guide is like a mini-website.  It's usually made by the librarian or library assistant for a particular class in the school.  They are actually kind of fun.  My first lib guide was on The Roosevelts, and it was a team effort.  I received a list of sources from Head Librarian Amy, found some on my own, and also used the lib guide template from a previous project assigned by the same teacher.  (One thing that makes lib guides easy is you get to use previous lib guides as templates/inspiration.) 

It was fun digging up legitimate, viable sources on the Roosevelt family(--TR, FDR, and Eleanor are the focus of the class project).  The teacher of the class met with us, discussed her goals for the project, told us the project was to be going on at the same time as the PBS Ken Burns documentary entitled "The Roosevelts - An Intimate History," and then we got to fly on our own from there.  Amy assisted me in a brief lib guide tutorial, some spacing/layout advice, and then I got to cut/paste/drop the info where it needed to go.  A team effort for sure, and it was an enjoyable one at that.

I loved looking up the resources for the students to use and creating short, concise descriptions of each one for the lib guide.  I hope the students can use the lib guide, and I hope it helps them conduct their research and gain new knowledge into this important and influential American family.

Oh, and if you're really curious (and/or bored), you can check out my first lib guide HERE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment