Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Halloween Storytime!

It's never too early to start thinking about Halloween storytime!

I may be working in a high school library, but I want to sing the praises of one of my favorite Halloween books, which just happens to be a picture book...by Jerry Seinfeld.


Seinfeld took one of his best bits and, with the help of illustrator James Bennett, created a Halloween book that should be in every library--personal, public, or school.  The illustrations are childlike, whimsical, full of color, and lil Jerry Seinfeld is adorable.  The font is engaging, big, and bold.  Even if you haven't seen Seinfeld perform this bit of stand-up live, you can still create voices/sound levels and movements that go with the text.  I feel it's the perfect read for Halloween storytime.

When I was a 6th grade reading and writing teacher I would read this every Halloween.  (And, I'd be so sad if Halloween fell on a weekend, because I couldn't perform it for them.)  My students had never heard of Jerry Seinfeld, but they still loved the book, because of the energy and enthusiasm I put into the reading of the text.  And, please, PLEASE let's not forget that picture books are for everyone.  Think about doing this awesome book for a Halloween storytime.  It doesn't matter if you're in a pre-school or a high school, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser and totally awesome!

And, if you haven't enjoyed Seinfeld's original stand-up bit, watch it NOW!




No comments:

Post a Comment