Friday, October 24, 2014

It's All Hocus Pocus


It's that time of year, folks: HALLOWEEN SEASON!  We already talked a little bit about Halloween Storytime, so let's talk Halloween Displays today.

Upon receiving a new shipment of bright and shinies which included THREE witch-centered books, Supervisor Amy had the idea of doing a witch book display, and who would I be to argue with my supervisor?  It was too much fun putting together this great, fun, seasonal display.



Amy wanted Katherine Howe's Conversion to be the focal point of our display, and she also wanted to surround it with titles about or of the Salem Witch Trials.  (Conversion looks AMAZING by the way.  We've already had someone check it out, so 1) the display is working, and 2) I'll have to wait to read it.  That's a good Librarian Problem.)  This is another great display that allowed me to find a variety of genres for the pale, green shelves: fiction, non-fiction, graphic novel, and a play this time!



We didn't have everything that I would have included if I had access to ALL the books, so I made a small sign to go with the display.  On that I included Quentin Blake's version* of witches, some of Harry Potter's finest witches+ (McGonagall, Hermione, and that evil Bellatrix!), and some other classic witchy women (Willow, Galinda, Meryl Streep's witch from the upcoming big screen adaptation of Into the Woods, and the Wicked Witch of the West*).  And, OF COURSE, the sign HAD to include the Sanderson Sisters from the 1993 Halloween classic Hocus Pocus.



* Keep in mind, we are a high school library with limited collection space, so we don't have Roald Dahl's The Witches or L. Frank Baum's Oz collection.
+ I've already included Harry Potter in two displays, so I opted for no Potter this time.  And, let's face it: which one would I have chosen?  Probably Deathly Hallows, cause Mama Molly is BADASS in that one, but that was included in my first display of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment