Wednesday, October 8, 2014

NO TIME!

I think the biggest problem I have as a [future] librarian is TIME.  There's not enough of it.  It's bad enough fighting against time with my kids, who are growing up way too fast.  Now I'm constantly reminded...EVERYDAY...of how many great books are out there and how I'll never get to read all of them. 

How do you choose the perfect book to read?  How do you choose one that will be a good use of your time and one you won't regret reading when you're done?  Adult mystery-crime author, Tana French, put it perfectly on her official website:

There's one thing that no one I know, including me, ever has enough of: time. Everyone has at least three things they should be doing with every minute, and everyone could do with about six more hours in the day. So I'm very aware that when you take a chance on one of my books, it's not just your money that you're putting on the line; it's your time, which is probably even more precious. I want to thank you, so much, for taking that chance; for your wonderful support, which never stops taking my breath away. Here's to all of you. I'll do my absolute best not to waste your time.  (www.tanafrench.com/about.html).

Today I started compiling book lists to be on display at the library.  I took a cue from local uber librarian, Kim Anderson, for this project.  She has folders in her middle school media center of different genre lists, what to read next lists, subject lists, etc.  I want to try to incorporate those here at Uni High's Library.  My first list to tackle is Asian-American YA, and let me tell you, I've already come across at least 10 new books I want to read.  Here are just two:

Keeping Corner, by Kashmira Sheth



Jet Black and the Ninja Wind, by Shogo Oketani & Leza Lowitz (translator)



LIBRARIAN PROBLEMS!!!  I don't want to do my course work!  I want to sit in the corner and read some of these books!  Right now imagine me throwing a tantrum and stomping my feet with huge tears rolling down my frustrated, red-cheeked face.  Or, imagine...GRR ARGH.


No comments:

Post a Comment